Topics covered in private piano lessons include
- components of music: rhythm, melody, harmony, dynamics, articulation
- music theory: keys, intervals, chords, voice leading
- technique: posture, fingering, touch
- practice habits: techniques for breaking down difficult passages, isolating performance components
- analysis: discovering the structure of great compositions
Time to Proficiency
A reasonable estimate of the time for a beginner to reach a moderate level of facility is eight to twelve months. Your mileage may vary.
Lessons that occur in my studio will be given on my Yamaha CP-33 digital piano. Students should have access to an acoustic piano or a digital piano with weighted action for practice. Students also may need to purchase additional items such as a music manuscript book, study or exercise books, or sheet music.
- Students must be at least twelve years of age.
- Lessons must be paid in cash at the beginning of the lesson, or by PayPal prior to arrival.
- Cancelation requires 24 hours notice.